Head of Development / CTO
Procreation is a fast-growing company delivering virtual events, training, learning and communications solutions for organisations around the world. In the past 12 months the global pandemic has forced a pivot to our virtual events more than ever, accelerating our software development and opening up many exciting new opportunities for growth. We’ve been able to build relationships with a portfolio of leading brands, pharmaceutical companies, healthcare organisations and agencies around the world.
About this role
Procreation is growing very fast – and that means developing our offering and supporting our changing team. We need a calm, supportive and collaborative senior technical person to support and expand our micro development team and build our overall technical capabilities.
As Head of Development / CTO, your focus is on building the software architecture, developing new products and team structure. You’ll be the technical voice of Procreation, collaborating with stakeholders and all functions in the business to make sure we have the technical foundations for success.
This is an interesting and very diverse role, encompassing technical leadership as well as help shape our culture, vision, and direction.
Technical team & capabilities
You will help develop and build a high-performing and inclusive team, ensuring a mix of skills and diverse perspectives for the best collaboration and problem solving.
• Day-to-day operational management
• Recruitment, coaching and professional development
Technical leadership & direction
• Ensure system & architecture meets requirements for stability, performance, security, scalability and accessibility
• Maintain technical knowledge of our industry and competitors
• Identify and implement appropriate technical tools & systems
• Work with Procreation devs to ensure robust and efficient standard development processes
• Identify technology trends and potential solutions
• The Head of Development / CTO will also be very hands-on.
Product development technical strategy
• Provide senior technical input on requirements to the business and work with the dev team to deliver solutions
• Listening to all stakeholders to fully understand product and business objectives
• Understand how development supports commercial growth and sales
Required skills and experience
Leadership & management
• Experience working as a team leader, head of development or similar
• Experience in a growing organisation e.g. from a single/small start-up development team to multiple teams
• Passionate about creating and nurturing high-performing teams
• Able to recruit, develop and retain excellent software engineers / developers
• Principles and practice of modern development approaches and methodologies
• Enthusiasm for technology and a broad range of software engineering experience
• Experience working as a Full Stack developer
• Production experience in our tech stack:
• PHP, LAMP, MySQL
• Docker, Terraform, Jenkins
• AWS (EC2, S3, CloudFront, CloudWatch…)
Product & industry
• Experience working in a B2B SaaS environment
• Knowledge of and experience working with WebRTC, live streaming and the learning technology sector would be considered desirable.
Procreation has an innovative start-up culture and a friendly sociable team. We pay competitive rates based on experience and offer flexible working hours for all team members.
Our office is located in West London in Sunbury on Thames. The role will involve a mix of remote and office based activity. Being an events based company during live projects it is expected to be in the office along with the rest of the production team. Typically Sept-Nov and Feb-April are busy live periods, however in this exciting time the workplace is running at a very fast pace each week.
1. Agility – always learning and adapting
2. Diversity – celebrating differences in people and perspectives
3. People – value and respect each other
4. Creativity – innovating with technology and design
5. Passion – caring and making a difference to our clients and wider society.
Our culture is defined by our people. In the Procreation team, we truly value each other, and this means making sure every team member can thrive and feel encouraged and celebrated.